Tuesday, July 1, 2008

WALL-E

My first movie entry is WALL-E, which I saw in theaters yesterday. A PIXAR film (the people who can do no wrong, except for Cars) directed by Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo), it vaulted into IMDb's top 10 on its second day of release. So I had to see it. Plus I've been looking forward to it all year.

My brief review goes like this: (by the way, there will be no spoilers in any of my reviews)

WALL-E was very good, but not great. Who would have thought you could play tribute to Stanley Kubrick (2001) and Charlie Chaplin (City Lights) at the same time? But it seems PIXAR can do anything. However, the movie was not PIXAR's best (which is The Incredibles), but not its worst (Cars), falling somewhere in between Monsters Inc and Toy Story. The first thirty minutes was absolutely brilliant, some of the best filmmaking in movie history. When they board the spaceship it got a little silly, but still remained very good. It was the ending that bothered me. Not that the ending was bad, because it wasn't. But the movie had a chance have one of the most powerful endings of all time, to make WALL-E one of the best movies of all time. But it didn't; it took the easy way out. (I can't tell you what they did, because that would be a spoiler).

Anyways, still highly recommended, just disappointed by the ending (which wasn't even bad, it just could have been so much more powerful).

Okay, thats all for my first movie blog. Now I'm gonna go watch Chinatown!

No comments: