Sunday, July 13, 2008

Waco: The Rules of Engagement

Yes, I watch documentaries too.

Waco is a documentary I've been wanting to see for a long time, so when I saw it at the local community college library, I knew I had to see it.

I never really knew much about Waco, other than that something bad happened with a cult and the US govt law enforcement. Now I have a pretty clear idea, at least as much as can be known. Its pretty bad. But the movie was very good.

Its very difficult to make good political documentaries, because they always seem to become one sided and biased. Yes documentaries are arguing a point, but that doesn't mean the other point should be ignored, (cough, Michael Moore, The Corporation, cough). Waco does a pretty good job of this, and is a very good documentary.

However, it doesn't vault into my top 3, which I view as heads and shoulders above all the other documentaries I've seen (granted I haven't seen very many). My top 3 are Murderball, Touching the Void, and Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room. Enron is the only political one, but it was done so well that I didn't see much of a bias (not that there is too much of a differing opinion on that issue).

Yes, I've omitted all of Moore's movies. And I've seen them all. While Moore is an amazing filmmaker, his documentaries are so biased that all they do is preach to the converted and alienate the rest. And who is that helping? (Roger and Me did rise above this, because the movie was about him trying to find the person who could give the other side of the story. Therefore, that is his best documentary)

No comments: