Tuesday, July 1, 2008

IMDb top 250

Five years ago, I had the idea to see every movie on the IMDb top 250. Unfortunately, I didn't even think of blogging about the experience, which would have been fun. But I'll blog about my movie watching experience from here on.

When I started five years ago, I had seen about 40 movies on the list. I have now seen 230 of them (from the 2003 list).

I haven't seen them all yet because I've been distracted by all the other great movies that aren't on the top 250 (like the entire French New Wave). Also recently, I've been going back and watching some of the movies I saw at the beginning of my adventure, since I am much more knowledgeable in film history and criticism and production that I have a whole new appreciation for the movies. Recently, I've rewatched The Godfather I and II, Paths of Glory, A Clockwork Orange, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Taxi Driver, The Battleship Potemkin and more. I've also been trying to watch director's commentaries, but only of movies I've already seen. I've seen commentaries for Fail Safe, Pi, Requiem for a Dream, Boogie Nights, The Manchurian Candidate, and others.

Now you guys can see what I've been up to and why I've become all antisocial. To illustrate further, I currently have 11! movies checked out from the library (three week rentals for free, can't beat that). They are: Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Chinatown, All About Eve, All Quiet on the Western Front, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Persona, Key Largo, La Dolce Vita, and The Maltese Falcon.

I also have kept track of all my favorite movies in an Excel spreadsheet (yes I am a nerd). Sorted top 10 by year and by decade. Also by director, although directors don't get included until I've seen at least four of their movies.

Anyways, the movies from the top 250 I have left to see are:

Dogville (2003)
Mononoke-hime (1997)
Ladri di biciclette (1948)
Adventures of Robin Hood, The (1938)
Charade (1963)
Festen (1998)
Night at the Opera, A (1935)
All the President's Men (1976)
Trois couleurs: Rouge (1994)
To Be or Not to Be (1942)
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)
Hotaru no haka (1988)
Lion in Winter, The (1968)
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927)
Die xue shuang xiong (1989)
Being There (1979)
Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)
Henry V (1989)
Enfants du paradis, Les (1945)
X-Men 2 (2003)

If you've seen any of these, props to you. Not many people have seen movies I haven't seen but want to. Also, if you have The Bicycle Thief, let me borrow it. I've been trying to find it for a year now (although I do know the Scarecrow has three copies)

So join me on my movie watching adventure!

No comments: